Frances in Germany

I studied for a little over one year in Paderborn Germany, from July 2005 to August 2006. These are my accounts of life in Germany. Enjoy the mishaps, spaniards, and super bees, I sure did!

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Feuerwehr in der Küche



On Wednesday night at about 10:30, while I was working on my translation homework, the fire alarm went off. This is not an uncommon occurrence. About once a month, someone burns their dinner and sets off the alarm. The key to not causing an uproar, is to actually call the fire department and tell them that there is no fire, rather some burned schnitzel. No one knows who burned, their dinner, but it was someone on my floor (but not my kitchen). My kitchen mate Daniella and I waited around for a while, knowing there was no fire, and talked to the firemen as they came up. After assessing that the fire would have to have been burning for a half hour and there was no sign of smoke, they determined that the best thing to do was open the window. Once again I point out that this was not my doing. I know how to cook. Anyway, it was fun to watch the firemen look very confused and shining flashlights at a smokeless beeping alarm. Daniella and I just laughed, then we went downstairs until they turned off the alarm. As we came down with the firemen, Danielle yelled to the people she know “Nicht uns!” (not us!). They laughed a little and life went back to normal as the alarm went off, but it was a fun little adventure.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that how you tell dinner is done? When the fire alarm goes off?

2:22 AM  
Blogger Frances said...

Maybe for other people, but I can actually cook. That means I only light things on fire that are supposed to be on fire...Flambé for instance.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i found you randomly...i'm an exchange student in bonn right now. i actually spent easter weekend in paderborn, crazy. anyway, i understand your little problems like w/the bank and such. and your bank account is called a "Konto" as in contract. :)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home